Monday 20 September 2010

Still want to create a game...

Like a lot of people who've studied programming of one kind or another, I've idly created simple games from time to time. An important part of my learning was the creation of a Solitaire game (the kind with pegs or marbles, not cards). But over the years I've had a few ideas for rather larger, more intricate games.

I've never found the time to pursue any of them yet, but there's one nagging at my mind. Actually there are two, but one is far too wide and deep to consider without having a fairly sizable team. The one that's really holding my interest right now would be comparatively small, but by no means the work of a weekend.

It's a fairly well formed idea at this point. A multi-player, on-line, real-time-strategy game with a sci-fi setting. The idea would concentrate on cooperative strategy.

It'd have to be divided into a few software components. Most obviously a server and a client, but the server itself I think should be built as a set of small, concurrent servers handling various tasks such as connections and coordination. I believe this would be an excellent application for Go, Google's language, as it has an impressive native approach to multi-threading and inter-process communication.

I see the client having an OpenGL GUI, though I'm curious about using Blender to create models/meshes. Its back-end would probably be best written in C++ or C.

The idea so fires my imagination that I have, in my mind, some reasonably well formed data flow models. I've also drawn a little game art.

Will this get off the ground? Probably not. But it's something that's probably going to hang around, attracting bits of time and effort. I'd need others to join in though, for both development and testing. The trouble there is that while I do have a friend who has just taken up game design as a field of serious study, I could hardly prevail on him to assist. Meanwhile, my pool of coder friends, with free time or otherwise, is relatively small.

And I don't even know OpenGL or Blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment